(PDF version available here.)
The Associated Press
Chicago/New York, March 2015–present
News automation editor and data journalist
Analyze data from government agencies and other sources to provide context and depth for other AP journalists and for readers around the world. Bylines and other contributions include:
- An investigative series studying the methods and targets of hackers linked to Russian intelligence services
- A comparison of black student representation and black faculty representation at state flagship universities
- An analysis of a budget proposal to eliminate subsidies for airline flights to rural communities
- Help company's leaders understand new developments in machine learning, automation and other relevant technologies.
- Develop applications and libraries to automate newsroom processes and generate content, such as print graphics about financial markets and internal alerts about campaign finance.
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy
Washington, D.C., 2013–2015
News interactives producer
- Developed interactive news features, such as:
- Gathered, processed and interpreted data from agencies, private organizations and Chronicle reporting for reporters and readers, including for the Almanac of Higher Education.
Arlington, Va., 2011–2013
Developed interactive Web and mobile news applications and information graphics, such as:
- An embeddable widget to track daily high temperature records
- A set of graphics to illustrate projections about the 2011 federal debt ceiling debate
- An interactive map with past and present housing price data
- Developed mapping application with detailed demographic and political data for the 2012 presidential election cycle.
Backend and data analysis
Languages: Ruby, Python, Node.js, R, SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
Frameworks: Ruby on Rails, Django, Sinatra, Flask
GIS: GDAL, PostGIS, QGIS
Frontend and design
Frameworks and libraries: D3, Backbone, Underscore, jQuery, Leaflet
Desktop tools: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, TileMill
License: FAA remote pilot certificate (commercial drone pilot)
Crafts: Baking, embroidery, crochet
Frequent instructor and presenter at conferences around the world. See the full list.
University of Missouri
Received two undergraduate degrees:
- Bachelor of science (cum laude) in electrical engineering, minor in mathematics
- Bachelor of journalism, emphasis in print and digital news, concentration in newspaper editing and design