(PDF version available here.)
The Associated Press
Chicago/New York, March 2015–present
News automation editor and data journalist
Develop applications and libraries to automate newsroom processes and generate content, such as:
- Alerts for reporters about new developments in health care and political campaigns.
- Systems to generate graphics for print customers about sports, entertainment, politics and finance.
- Infrastructure to support data-driven interactive graphics and editorial tools.
- Analyze data from government agencies and other sources to provide context and depth for other AP journalists and for readers around the world.
- Help company’s leaders understand new developments in machine learning, automation and other relevant technologies.
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy
Washington, D.C., 2013–2015
News interactives producer
Developed interactive news features, such as:
- A game displaying applicant data from a faculty hiring process
- An in-depth exploration of Census data to show how the demographics of America’s children—its future college students—differ by age
Developed internal tools to help reporters, editors and other staff members work more quickly and efficiently, such as:
- Scrapers for biographies of members of Congress, lists of grants and their amounts, and state alcohol licenses
- An ingest system for millions of nonprofit organizations’ tax returns from Internal Revenue Service DVD sets
- A similarity engine that finds clusters of like universities
- Gathered, processed and interpreted data from agencies, private organizations and Chronicle reporting for reporters and readers, including for the Almanac of Higher Education.
Arlington, Va., 2011–2013
Developed interactive Web and mobile news applications and information graphics, such as:
- An embeddable widget to track daily high temperature records
- A set of graphics to illustrate projections about the 2011 federal debt ceiling debate
- An interactive map with past and present housing price data
- Developed mapping application with detailed demographic and political data for the 2012 presidential election cycle.
Backend and data analysis
Languages: Ruby, Python, Node.js, R, SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
Frameworks: Ruby on Rails, Django, Sinatra, Flask
GIS: GDAL, PostGIS, QGIS
Frontend and design
Frameworks and libraries: D3, Highcharts, Backbone, Underscore, jQuery, Leaflet
Desktop tools: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, TileMill
License: FAA remote pilot certificate (commercial drone pilot)
Crafts: Baking, embroidery, crochet
Frequent instructor and presenter at conferences around the world. See the full list.
University of Missouri
Received two undergraduate degrees:
- Bachelor of science (cum laude) in electrical engineering, minor in mathematics
- Bachelor of journalism, emphasis in print and digital news, concentration in newspaper editing and design