Web and hardware development
The Chronicle of Higher Education (Washington, D.C., January 2013 – present)
News interactives producer
PBS NewsHour (Arlington, Va., June 2011 – January 2013)
- Developed interactive Web and mobile news applications and information graphics, such as an embeddable widget to track daily high temperature records, a set of graphics to illustrate projections about the 2011 federal debt ceiling debate and an interactive map with past and present housing price data.
Hearst Interactive Media (Remote, June 2010 – October 2010)
Web development contractor
- Continued development of an interactive consumer recommendation engine — one of the winning applications in the Reynolds Journalism Institute 2010 interaction design competition. Details subject to Hearst non-disclosure agreement.
- Regularly worked with project managers, executives and network operations personnel in three time zones in order to ensure the best possible product.
- Managed team of four students during spring 2010 semester to develop initial proof of concept.
The Maneater (University of Missouri, 2008 – 2009)
Online development editor
- Developed and edited new features and content for the online edition of MU's semiweekly student newspaper.
- Features launched include blogs, a campus guide and an election information application. Rewrote and extended custom content management system using Django.
- Work was recognized with a 2009 Online Pacemaker award by the Associated Collegiate Press.
Mizzou Racing (University of Missouri, 2006 – 2009)
- Designed and fabricated electrical and data acquisition components for student-designed, student-built 600-cc autocross cars.
Reporting, editing and design
Columbia Missourian (Columbia, Mo., 2008 – present)
Assistant news editor and page designer; previously information graphic designer, copy editor and health/science/environment reporter
- Oversaw the production desk, including copy editors and page designers, for a community morning newspaper and website.
- Designed broadsheet pages for the print edition.
- Edited articles, slideshows and other content before publication.
- Designed visual displays of information (including political, athletic and scientific) for print and online publication.
- Reported on such topics as nuclear power, biological engineering research, student design competition teams and city energy policy.
The Maneater (University of Missouri, 2006 – 2009)
Assistant online editor, assistant production manager, copy editor, senior staff writer, staff photographer
LifeWire (Remote, 2007 – 2008)
Freelance copy editor; previously copy editing intern
- Edited articles written by freelancers for an online content provider within The New York Times Company. Clients included About.com, CNN.com and Weather.com.
- Helped test and troubleshoot new content management system for use by freelance reporters and copy editors.
PRIME Lab (University of Missouri, 2006 – present)
- Study the cognitive and emotional effects of various media, with a particular emphasis on online news.
- Presented at the 2008 annual conference of the International Communication Association; published a related paper in December 2009 in the Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media.
MIDAS Lab (University of Missouri, June 2009 – February 2010)
- Designed and tested new techniques for producing arrays of field electron emitters for use in detecting nuclear materials.
- Helped maintain physical vapor deposition systems and semiconductor wafer oxidation furnaces.
(+1 707 397 5246)
University of Missouri (Columbia, Mo., August 2006 – May 2011)
Received dual undergraduate degrees:
- Bachelor of science (cum laude) in electrical engineering, minor in mathematics
- Bachelor of journalism, emphasis in print and digital news
Web design and development
Python, Django, CSS, XHTML, jQuery, assorted Web APIs, MySQL, PostgreSQL, geographic information systems, Linux server administration (CentOS, RHEL, Ubuntu)
Final Cut Pro, Audacity, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Soundslides, podcasting, streaming video, general audio and video production
Microfabrication, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, MATLAB, LabVIEW, PSpice, scanning electron microscope operation, printed circuit board design and assembly
Project management, photography, baking, crochet