(PDF version available here.)
Web and hardware development
The Chronicle of Higher Education (Washington, D.C., January 2013 – present)
News interactives producer
- Develop interactive news features, such as a game displaying applicant data from a faculty hiring process.
- Gather, process and interpret data from government agencies, private organizations and Chronicle reporting for reporters and readers, including for the Almanac of Higher Education.
PBS NewsHour (Arlington, Va., 2011 – 2013)
- Developed interactive Web and mobile news applications and information graphics, such as an embeddable widget to track daily high temperature records, a set of graphics to illustrate projections about the 2011 federal debt ceiling debate and an interactive map with past and present housing price data.
- Developed mapping application with detailed demographic and political data for the 2012 presidential election cycle.
Hearst Interactive Media (Remote, June 2010 – October 2010)
Web development contractor
- Continued development of an interactive consumer recommendation engine — one of the winning applications in the Reynolds Journalism Institute 2010 interaction design competition. Details subject to Hearst non-disclosure agreement.
- Regularly worked with project managers, executives and network operations personnel in three time zones in order to ensure the best possible product.
- Managed team of four students during spring 2010 semester to develop initial proof of concept.
Reporting, editing and design
Columbia Missourian (Columbia, Mo., 2008 – 2011)
Assistant news editor and page designer; previously information graphic designer, copy editor and health/science/environment reporter
- Oversaw the production desk, including copy editors and page designers, for a community morning newspaper and website.
- Designed broadsheet pages for the print edition.
- Edited articles, slideshows and other content before publication.
- Designed visual displays of information (including political, athletic and scientific) for print and online publication.
- Reported on such topics as nuclear power, biological engineering research, student design competition teams and city energy policy.
PRIME Lab (University of Missouri, 2006 – 2011)
- Study the cognitive and emotional effects of various media, with a particular emphasis on online news.
- Presented at the 2008 annual conference of the International Communication Association; published a related paper in December 2009 in the Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media.
(+1 707 397 5246)
University of Missouri (Columbia, Mo., August 2006 – May 2011)
Received dual undergraduate degrees:
- Bachelor of science (cum laude) in electrical engineering, minor in mathematics
- Bachelor of journalism, emphasis in print and digital news
Web design and development
InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro, Audacity, podcasting, streaming video, general audio and video production
EAGLE, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, MATLAB, LabVIEW, PSpice, scanning electron microscope operation, microfabrication, printed circuit board design and assembly
Project management, photography, baking, crochet