(PDF version available here.)
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy
Washington, D.C., January 2013–present
News interactives producer
Develop interactive news features, such as:
- A game displaying applicant data from a faculty hiring process
- An in-depth exploration of Census data to show how the demographics of America's children—its future college students—differ by age
Develop internal tools to help reporters, editors and other staff members work more quickly and efficiently, such as:
- Scrapers for biographies of members of Congress, lists of grants and their amounts, and state alcohol licenses
- An ingest system for millions of nonprofit organizations' tax returns from Internal Revenue Service DVD sets
- A similarity engine that finds clusters of like universities
- Gather, process and interpret data from government agencies, private organizations and Chronicle reporting for reporters and readers, including for the Almanac of Higher Education.
Arlington, Va., 2011–2013
Developed interactive Web and mobile news applications and information graphics, such as:
- An embeddable widget to track daily high temperature records
- A set of graphics to illustrate projections about the 2011 federal debt ceiling debate
- Developed mapping application with detailed demographic and political data for the 2012 presidential election cycle.
Columbia, Mo., 2010–2011
Assistant news editor and page designer
- Oversaw production desk, including copy editors and page designers, for a community morning newspaper and website.
- Edited articles, slideshows and other content before publication.
- Previously (2008–2010) worked as information graphic designer, copy editor and health/science/environment reporter.
University of Missouri, 2006–2011
- Studied the cognitive and emotional effects of various media, with a particular emphasis of online news.
- Presented research and published an article at International Communication Association conferences and in the Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media.
University of Missouri
Columbia, Mo., August 2006–May 2011
Received two undergraduate degrees:
- Bachelor of science (cum laude) in electrical engineering, minor in mathematics
- Bachelor of journalism, emphasis in print and digital news, concentration in newspaper editing and design
Programming & Web design
InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Audacity, podcasting, streaming video, general audio and video production
EAGLE, AutoCAD, microfabrication, microcontroller programming and usage (AVR, Arduino), printed circuit board design and assembly
Research, project management, photography, baking, crochet